This year, September 3rd is the magical day. What makes it even more magical is that the time has come (after 17 years) for me to be on the opposite side of the desk. I am no longer a student, I am a teacher! (Yet I am still complete with my smiling face and new back-to-school clothes.) I will have 20 moldable minds within my reach, waiting for my instruction. I hope to show them what they need to succeed in life, as well as how to become a person of character and good judgment. I hope to help them realize the world for what it is and how they (each and every one of them) can make a positive difference in it. I hope to help their optimism, innocence and enthusiasm thrive. I also pray that each one of them will grow up knowing the love and grace of their Creator, who knows each and every hair on their heads.
But, the funny thing about being a teacher is that you never stop being a student. Besides all of the obvious things like homework, taking notes, staying organized, being on time, and being prepared, there is one, maybe not-so-obvious idea, in which we will learn something new everyday. And, not just at a PD Day or a conference, but within the very classroom that we teach. We will learn something significant everyday, whether it is how we can improve ourselves, our lessons, our classroom, or how the simple story from a child’s life can change how we look at everything in the world.
This year I am not an “official” teacher, but a student-teacher. I will be in a Kindergarten classroom for eight weeks, and then a second grade classroom for eight weeks. I will graduate on December 13th, and then I can find where I belong in the world of education. Pray for me, wish me luck, whatever your fancy. I ’ll let you know the view from the other side.
1 comment:
hey....i like your blog...you have an amazing writers voice..i am so happy that you started student teaching, and i hope everything went well, and continues to go well..well i miss you bunches...
love damaris
Post a Comment