Sunday, May 31, 2009

Just a Thought..

Have you ever been in church and in the middle of a worship song you realize you have no idea what you are even singing about?? Well, that happened to me this morning. Here was the particular verse that got my brain starting to question how much I really do (or don't) know when it comes to hymns. The title of the hymn is The Holy Trinity by Reginald Heber who lived from 1783 to 1826. (Which might explain a little bit..c'mon Reginald, get with the program!) ;)


Holy, holy, holy! all the saints adore Thee,

Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea.

Cherubim and seraphim falling down before Thee,

Which wert, and art, and evermore shalt be.

I get the gist of the verse, but I just thought it would be funny to note that how sometimes song lyrics can get in the way of worshiping God. At least they do for me, because then I get all distracted and wonder what Cherubim and Seraphim are. Maybe that has a really simple answer, but I am going to have to go look that up. (Blogger's spell check doesn't even recognize the word Seraphim!)

I don't why that got to me so much today...oh well. Happy Sunday! It's gorgeous out. :)

1 comment:

Gussy Sews said...

I recognize that song from my parents church! And often I, too, wonder what the lyrics mean.

PS. http://maggiewhitley.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-award.html